Position: STAFF VETERINARIAN – FACILITIES INSPECTOR
Are you looking for a new challenge in an office environment, a new way to apply your veterinary skillset? Would you enjoy travelling around the province (COVID-permitting, of course)?
We are offering an opportunity to join the CVBC Team and contribute to your profession while elevating the delivery of veterinary patient care in British Columbia.
You will be an integral part of CVBC’s regulatory processes by:
- Working closely with other veterinarians on the team including the Deputy Registrar
- Assessing applications for facilities accreditation
- Inspecting new and current clinics and hospitals for compliance
- Reviewing and providing feedback on document submissions related to facilities inspections
- Reporting to the Practice Facility and Accreditation Committee (PFAC)
- Advising registrants on compliance with accreditation standards
- Assisting with the revision of current standards
- Developing instructional materials
- Being an on-site professional resource to our investigations staff
The Ideal Candidate will have:
- Active licensure in BC and good standing in all jurisdictions where you have practised
- Minimum of 5 years practical multi-species experience in several clinics / hospitals
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills demonstrated in oral and written communications
- Strong computer literacy relating to word processing and document management (Microsoft Word, Adobe, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint and Outlook), and videoconferencing platforms, or a willingness to learn these
- Ability to deal with sensitive information confidentially and diplomatically
- Ability to work flexibly, independently and collaboratively in a team-oriented environment
- Commitment to apply the CVBC’s requirements for regulatory fairness and objectivity, with public protection as the primary mandate
- Willingness to commute daily (weekdays) to our office in Richmond BC, unless deployed to various sites around the province (routes are shared with two other inspectors)
- Flexibility to accommodate necessary travel throughout the province for inspections
The mandate of the College of Veterinarians of British Columbia (CVBC) is to regulate in the public interest to ensure a competent and ethical veterinary profession serves the public and animals of B.C.
This is a unique opportunity to join the CVBC team in a permanent full-time position. We offer a collegial office environment with excellent benefits, including a health and dental plan, self-directed RRSP and a commitment to fostering work-life balance.
Please submit applications including résumé and a cover letter expressing your interest, availability and salary expectation to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only qualified candidates will be contacted for interviews.
COMMENTS ABOUT FACILITY INSPECTIONS
– DURING COVID, AND BEYOND…
COVID-19 required the suspension of in-person inspections by the College in March of 2020. The College moved swiftly to develop a policy to support virtual inspections of new practice facilities so that they could receive provisional approval to operate. This approval is only until such time that an in-person inspection can take place. Reaccreditation inspections of existing accredited practice facilities continue to be on hold, resulting in an increasing backlog of facilities due for inspection in 2020.
To address this backlog, the College has recently approved a separate virtual inspection policy for reaccreditation inspections, which would allow some facilities to have their reaccreditation inspection conducted virtually.
The College is working towards a plan to re-initiate on-site inspections in the coming months. This plan will include consideration and accommodation for any concerns by the inspector, Designated Registrant or practice facility staff for COVID-19 related risks related to travel and interactions.
In the short-term the Staff Veterinarian will primarily be performing inspections virtually using a live-stream platform such as Facetime or Zoom. Looking ahead, there will eventually be a return to our in-person inspection model that will involve travel within the Lower Mainland, as well as more extensive travel through the rest of the province. It is unknown at this time if some virtual inspection options may remain.
The Staff Veterinarian Facility Inspector is supported by 2 part-time contract inspectors but is currently responsible for a majority of the inspections.