Paralegal – Complaints
Reports to: Complaints & Investigation manager
Come join the team at the College of Veterinarians of BC
The College of Veterinarians of British Columbia is the regulator for the veterinary profession in British Columbia, and is responsible for administering the Veterinarians Act. We are looking for a new team member to join our Complaints Division. If you have great organizational and interpersonal skills, lots of enthusiasm, and enjoy working in a smaller office environment, then we would love to meet you!
Under the supervision of the CVBC’s Complaints and Investigation Manager, the Paralegal – Complaints will provide administrative and communications support necessary for the processing of complaints received from the public concerning veterinarians and the practice of veterinary medicine in British Columbia.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide administrative oversight and management of case files from start to finish with minimal supervision
- Organize, assist and maintain files to ensure they are complete, well-documented and orderly – to include review of documents for relevance and privilege
- Compile, redact and edit documents using Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Maintain an efficient file management and bring-forward system
- Create and maintain various knowledge management tools including tables, indexes, spreadsheets, and databases, and assist with preparation of statistics
- Prepare and send correspondence to registrants, complainants, opposing counsel, and other parties pertaining to case files
- Liaise with the CVBC’s complaints coordinator, legal counsel and Registrar on case file progress
- Review and edit investigator memos to the Investigation Committee
- Attend Investigation Committee meetings for the purpose of drafting meeting minutes
- Close electronic files and update registrant files for discipline history
- Monitor post-hearing activities including suspensions, education requirements, medical record reviews and payment of discipline penalties and enforcement expenses by registrants
- Provide initial case file review and assessment
- Prepare drafts of consent agreements and other legal documents as requested
- Prepare document disclosures
- Assist legal counsel with freedom of information requests
- Provide assistance and back up coverage to Complaints Coordinator
- Assist with special projects and ad hoc requests from General Counsel and Registrar, including researching legal issues and preparing memos
- Perform other duties as required
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Successful completion of a Paralegal program or comparable training and experience
- 3 – 5 years working in a legal office or regulatory environment preferred
- Strong commitment to quality work product with proven ability to meet competing deadlines
- Strong organizational skills, able to effectively prioritize and handle multiple tasks
- Critical thinking skills, high level of initiative, and proactive approach to problem solving
- Ability to take instruction from others, work as a member of a team yet also be able to work independently and effectively under pressure
- Proven understanding of legal framework and documents
- Intermediate-to-advanced computer skills, including Adobe Acrobat Pro, MS Office Programs (Word, Excel, Outlook) and familiarity with electronic documentation and case management systems
- Intermediate understanding of legal terminology, legal processes and common legal documents related to administrative and regulatory law
Commitment: Full-time, part-time, and contract options may be considered.
Salary: Commensurate with experience, with a competitive benefits package for salaried position.
Location: North Richmond (Bridgeport & Shell Road) – our offices are located in a quiet office park with green space, and operated by a management company that has demonstrated a commitment to tenant health and safety during the COVID pandemic. The office park is easily accessed by all modes of transportation and is serviced by a shuttle bus from the nearby Canada Line station. We are a great alternative to the congestion and bustle of nearby downtown Vancouver and Richmond.
Posting Closes: May 27, 2023, 4:00 p.m.
Please Submit Application With The Email Heading “Paralegal – Complaints Application” to: email@example.com. Please include in your application your resume, as well as a description of relevant skills and experience that you would bring to the position.
For everyone’s health and safety our vaccination policy requires full vaccination against COVID-19 to attend CVBC offices in person and meet with our team in person.