Animal Export Movement Form for Small Animals

CFIA Animal Export Movement Form - includes the generic form (for countries that agree to accept it) and lists the countries for which there are negotiated certificates. It is upadated as required.

An updated form for use in your practice for clients needing certification as to the health status of their small animals for the purpose of travel, which includes a space for a government veterinarian's signature when necessary, is available from the CFIA website.  

On September 26, 2012 the College of Veterinarians of British Columbia (CVBC) was notified by Dr. Richard Beekman, Veterinary Program Specialist- Export, Animal Health Programs  Western, Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) that effective March 1, 2012 the export certificate for pets to the Eurotapean Union was reformatted.   Along with the change in format there were also some changes made to the export requirements 

Changes of note: 

  • rabies titres are no longer required
  • tapeworm treatment should be between 1 and 5 days prior to scheduled entry into the EU (UK, Ireland, Malta, Finland)

It is also important to remember that pets need to be micro-chipped before they are vaccinated for rabies (rabies vaccinations prior to micro-chipping are not valid for export to the EU). 

Export instructions are still accessible on CFIA's public web site however the actual export certificate is no longer available for viewing.  The web site will be updated in the near future to include a copy of the certificate.  In order to obtain a copy of the certificate, veterinarians have to contact the nearest CFIA district office.  A list of animal health offices is available on our website:

Pet export instruction are on the CFIA public web site at the following location:  

Attached are instructional copies of the commercial and non-commercial pet export certificates.  A blank copy of these export certificates can be obtained from the nearest district office. Please contact your nearest district office if you have any questions or concerns.

Animal Health Technologist Programs in BC

Douglas College, New Westminster, B.C.

The Douglas College program is the second AHT program in BC to be accredited by the CVMA. For information on the Douglas College program, please see the link below.

Thompson Rivers University, In Kamloops, B.C.

The TRU program is the first AHT program in BC to be accredited by the CVMA. The TRU offers both a Campus-based Program and a Distance Education Program. For more information on these two programs, please see the link below.

CFIA Notices

Download Acrobat Document


Download Acrobat Document


Download Acrobat Document


CFIA Regional District Veterinarians

Contact info for your Federal Regional District Veterinarians (Canadian Food Inspection Agency or CFIA vets). This is who you must contact for rabies concerns and reports.

As of December 1, 2016, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency Richmond office will be located at:

Suite 150 - 3001 Wayburne Drive, Burnaby BC V5G 4W3

Phone: 604 666-7075

Download Acrobat Document


Grief Counselling for Pet Loss

Download Acrobat Document


Request for Corporate Name Approval

Please note that Corporate, Partnership and Proprietorship name approvals are a matter for the Registrar of Companies. However the Registrar of Companies must obtain the consent of the CVBC for any corporate, partnership or proprietorship name that connotes the provision of animal health care or veterinary services.

The CVBC will approve any such name if and only if the entity is the corporate alter ego of a registrant of the CVBC in good standing. Therefore one or more registrants in good standing must hold a majority of the voting shares in the corporation.

The Registrar will provide the consent in writing, upon a written request by or for the registrant. A request form is available or you may simply send a letter to the office of the Registrar. The Registrar's letter can be sent to the registrant, registrant's legal counsel or accountant, or directly to the Registrar of Companies. There is a $210 charge for this service ($200 fee + 5% GST).

Please note: As of April 13,2013, the CVBC requires that payment ($200 plus GST) accompany all requests. Requests will not be processed until payment has been received.

There are two important issues to remember.

  1. If you plan to use the name as a 'Marketing Name' by which the public knows the practice, and you must also seek the approval of the CVBC - see the page on this website respecting Requests for CVBC Name Approvals.
  2. If you are reserving a name with the corporate registrar, the Registrar of Companies only checks their own registry. There could still be a conflict with a marketing name already approved by the CVBC for another registrant. It is your responsibility to check with the CVBC to ensure that there are no current conflicts with an approved or pending marketing name.

Please contact the Deputy Registrar if you have any questions regarding practice names.

Download Acrobat Document


Facility or Practice Name or Name Change Application

Download Acrobat Document

170206 Facility or Practice Name or Name Change Application.pdf

Tattoo Identification Program

Effective December 31, 2016 the CVBC ceased to administer the current Tattoo Identification Program. The BC Pet Registry, owned and operated by the British Columbia Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (BCSPCA), has absorbed the current CVBC Tattoo Identification Program. Veterinarians seeking further information regarding the transition from the CVBC Tattoo Identification Program to the BC SPCA Pet Registry is provided in 2 documents named ‘BC Pet Registry-General’ and ‘BC Pet Registry-Program Change’ that may be located on the registrant side of the website (please Log In) under Facility Matters, Tattoos & Microchips.

Wild Bird Mortality Investigation Protocol

Download Acrobat Document


Wildlife and Veterinarians

Download Acrobat Document


Download Acrobat Document


Download Acrobat Document